Duration: 2 days/ 1 night
This overnight trip combines a visit of the spectacular Peñol Boulder, the laid-back town of Guatapé and the secret Eco-touristic hotspot of San Carlos. Enjoy Guatapé and the famous rock, which is considered one of the most spectacular attractions in the surrounding area of Medellín. Explore the idyllic village San Carlos surrounded by tropical forest – an insider's tip to most tourists. Solitary rivers and waterfalls in the midst of the jungle invite you to swim. San Carlos was affected by the inner conflict in the last decades. The village has recovered and nowadays lives in peace. This remote village is full of tropical flora and fauna and is considered a biodiversity hotspot.
Join us on a stunning trip into the Eastern highlands of Medellín and enjoy the mixture of culture, nature and history.
- Private transportation incl. pick-up service
- Travel insurance
- Accommodation (hotel in San Carlos)
- Meals (1x breakfast / 1x lunch / 1x dinner)
- Entrance fee to Piedra del Peñol
- Hikes to the waterfalls in San Carlos
- History tour at the historical museum in Granada
- Bilingual attendance
- Climb the Peñol Boulder and enjoy breathtaking views
- Climb the famous Piedra del Peñol
- Visit the village of Guatapé with its traditional mural paintings
- Enjoy waterfalls and rivers in tropical San Carlos
- Learn about the recent Colombian history and how the country has changed
- Visit the villages of Guatapé and San Carlos
* Can be subject to change
Day 1: The boulder of Guatapé and natural abundance of San Carlos (D)
From Medellín take a pristine ride towards the Eastern Highlands to climb up the famous, 200-meter-high Piedra del Peñol through a staircase of 740 steps. From the mountaintop you can enjoy breathtaking views over the stunning surroundings full of green mountains and blue lakes. Then you visit the village of Guatapé famous for its beautiful paintings that decorate the houses. There you will enjoy a delicious lunch before heading to San Carlos, where solitary rivers and waterfalls invite you to swim. Spend the night in a charming hotel near the tropical forest.
Day 2: Pristine Waterfalls and Colombian history in Granada (B, L)
In the morning you enjoy some of the natural treasures of San Carlos and its biodiversity. The abundance of waterfalls and pristine rivers is unique in Colombia. Afterwards we hit the road towards Medellín and pass by the village of Granada, one of the villages in Antioquia affected by the inner conflict during the last decades. Visit the memorial museum where you will learn about the recent past, rebels, paramilitaries and displacement, but above all you will also see how the village has recovered and that its population lives in peace today.
• Activities or expenses not specified in the plan.
Price in dollars "USD" and, accommodation is a mid-range hotels. The price may vary depending on the number of people.
Bilingual guide: 10 USD
Trilingual guide: 15 USD